With the overall objective of achieving enhanced economic integration with the EU/EFTA and supporting the development of a market economy, the project purpose is to support
- the full implementation throughout the Western Balkans of EU product legislation for construction products and electrical/electronic equipment; and, later
- the preparation of action plans in the “non-harmonised area” and awareness of the Mutual Recognition regulation1.
The specific objectives of the project are the key requirements for a candidate or potential candidate country for EU accession to begin negotiations with the European Commission for an Agreement on Conformity Assessment and Acceptance of Industrial Products (ACAA), although the decision whether or not to negotiate an ACAA is a national political one. The achievement of each specific objective is connected directly to the project milestones and deliverables contained in the project action plan which is available upon request to the following email address email@example.com:
- Common horizontal legislation setting up standardization, legal metrology, accreditation, market surveillance and conformity assessment in accordance with EU transposed
- Common product legislation for construction products and electrical/electronic equipment transposed
- Relevant harmonised European Standards adopted and implemented
- Standardisation, accreditation and metrology infrastructure in place
- CE marking system prepared
- Competence of designating authorities and designated bodies proven
- Suitable market surveillance system and suitable safeguard procedures used
- Traders and Industry prepared, informed and aware
The project is guided by a Cooperation Committee, composed of one representative per partner country which meets regularly. Members of the CC ensure proper communication and coordination between the project management team and the quality infrastructure system of each partner country.
The central project deliverable is a series of workshops which enables close interaction between the Key Expert team; a number of short-term EU/EFTA experts; and ministries, QI institutions and industry. Preparation for the workshops is assisted by a set of project progress reports, which are updated regularly by the project partners.